Monday, August 11, 2008

ANISE BISCOTTI

When I was first married, I was introduced to more new foods in the first week than I had sampled in my entire lifetime... Italians have a thing for food! It is inextricably linked to their culture and the heritage of their individual families. Their special dishes are also a great source of pride!

My mother-in-law performed magic in the kitchen... This was good and bad for me. It was good because I loved to eat what she made but bad because I had very big shoes to fill. She doesn't cook (or bake) as much anymore, so today we made her Anise Biscotti for her birthday. It's her very favorite treat! Tomorrow the carefully wrapped box will be on its way to Florida. Of course, we kept a few for ourselves...

We'll warm ours up a bit in the toaster oven to crisp the edges and they'll taste fresh from the oven all over again. Here is the excellent, flavorful recipe that we've developed for this delectable cookie:

ANISE BISCOTTI
350 Degrees

Beat:
½ Stick Butter

Beat in:
1 Cup Sugar

Add singly and beat well:
3 Eggs

Add and beat:
2 T. Anise Extract
3 tsp Anise Seeds

Mix the following together, then add to batter, beating until combined:
2 ½ Cups Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder

Divide dough in half... It will be sticky. Spread on greased and floured cookie sheets in 2 long rectangles, approximately 4” x 11”. Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 20 - 25 minutes or longer, until edges are browned and centers bounce back when pressed.

Remove from oven, and slice each rectangle across in slices. I like my slices to be about 3/4" wide but make them to your personal preference. Lay cut slices back on the same cookie sheet, first on one side and then on the other, broiling each side until the sides and edges are brown. Watch them carefully - they burn easily. Remove from pans and cool on racks. Pack airtight as soon as they are cool; I use zipper bags. Makes approximately 24 large cookies.

If you like the crisp edges and softer centers of freshly baked biscotti, you can reheat them just before eating in a 325 degree oven or toaster oven for 8 – 10 minutes.

They're great dunked!

No comments: